Monthly Meeting Notes: June 2010
Meeting Facilitator: Nancy Williams
Meeting Location: Together, Inc., www.togetheromaha.org
MEETING SUMMARY NOTES
Welcome and Introductions: Thank you, Michelle Moyes-Dill, for providing meeting space at Together Inc. for the month of June! Thank you, Together Inc. staff. Mike Hornacek, Together Inc., provided information about the space and services at Together Inc. It was distribution day for Angel Food Ministries boxes.
- Distribution 4th Saturday of each month
- Food available: signature box for $30 and fruit/veggie specialty box for $22 (check back for video link!)
- Order at www.angelfoodministries.org or in person at Together Inc.
- Pay online or in person with cash, EBT, debit/credit card, no checks accepted
Meeting Summary Notes (May 22, 2010) – online
OLD BUSINESS (Updates)
Growing Power Model:
- USDA Listening Session: Edgar Hicks – Liaison
- September 23 & 24 in Lincoln, NE, Council Bluffs, IA & Omaha, NE.
- Planning is underway. Look for a Save the Date notice.
- Visit http://www.sare.org/ for more information about USDA SARE.
- Compost (Jen Valandra, Metropolitan Community College)
- currently deciding compost vessel
- expanded proposal and submitted for funding to include more intensive learning experience
- Growing Power ROTC Application (Jen Valandra)
- Strategic planning group working to complete a project plan to help guide the work of an urban agriculture mode
- The group is working through the first round of revisions.
- Iowa Western Foundation: developing working relationship between Nebraska and Iowa organizations/individuals working on regional and local food systems
- Survey available on Survey Monkey to capture interest and needs in a shared commercial kitchen.
- Salem’s Children Center & Family Housing Advisory Services
- Kitchen is in use to prepare meals for USDA Summer Food Program
- Preparing food for several feeding sites
- Serving breakfast, lunch and snack for more than 500 participants daily
Sustainable Garden Partnerships:
- Minne Lusa Miller Park Neighborhood Association is working to sustain thriving garden and share bounties with organizations and individuals within Omaha
- MLMP NA sends emails weekly for harvest and work parties.
Coalition Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coalition Roles & Responsibilities Matrix – see document on Basecamp
- Six organizations have responded so far.
NMEP Project Plan Elements (Susan Whitfield)
- Management team is developing the overall strategic plan .
- Kitchen and Growing Power model groups are developing respective strategic plans.
Opportunity: Invitation to submit a proposal for revitalizing and re-imagining reclaimed industrial sites with urban agriculture components.
No More Empty Pots 2nd Food Summit (Kay Stevens)
- Next food summit Nov. 12 and 13, 2010 at Metropolitan Community College
- Kay Stevens will chair
- Currently accepting volunteers to serve on planning committee
- Look for Save the Date notice
- Hoop house construction at Metropolitan Community College at 8AM on June 26 near Horticulture building
- Contact: Jen Valandra at MCC
NEXT MEETING: July 24, 2010 @ 10AM at Washington Branch Library (28th & Ames Ave) – Event Details